Friday, September 30, 2016

He's Here!

Theo made his debut 8 days early on September 9, 2016 at 5:18am.  He was a whopping 6 pounds 2 ounces and 19 inches long.  Here is the whole story:

It all started on Thursday, September 8th.  I had my 38 week appointment in the morning.  I found out I was 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced.  My doctor was pretty excited that I was making progress.  I felt validated because I told her I was having more contractions lately.  She stripped my membranes and then I was off to work.  I felt crampy, weird, and nervous the membrane stripping would put me into labor.  I couldn't really focus on work - plus everyone told me to go home, and also thought I was going to go into labor.  So I went home and started tracking my contractions and trying to rest as much as possible.  At this point I wasn't sure anything was going to happen.  For the previous few weeks I would have contractions and then I would go to bed and they would go away.

Some hours passed, and Tricia and her cute kids came over to keep me company, have dinner, and hang out. (Thanks for keeping me company!) At this point my contractions were about 10 minutes apart, but not painful.  (apparently in my family we have 'silent labor' for a while.  I should have listened to my sister and gone to the hospital a bit sooner than I did.)  When Tricia left, I decided to lay down again to see if the contractions would get closer together or go away.  Well, they became closer together, but still not painful at all.  They were 5 minutes apart for about 2 hours or so until I had two painful contractions and then I knew it was time.  I called for Kevin a little bit hysterical, we said a quick prayer and off we went to the hospital.  At this point, Kevin was still not convinced it was go time - he thought it was a false alarm.  The ride to the hospital was SO long.  The contractions were getting more and more painful, and still steady at 5 minutes apart.

When we finally got there I could hardly walk up to the hospital entrance.  Kevin finally convinced me to sit in a wheel chair.  I was being stubborn.  I didn't need a wheel chair!!  Wrong. I totally needed one.  The second I sat in the chair my water broke.  Good timing, right?  After that the pain got pretty dang bad.  Kevin handled the checking in process because I could hardly talk to the nice nurses.  The hospital was busy that night so we were in a room that didn't have a labor bed - so getting checked was really hard and uncomfortable.  The nurse had to check to see if my water actually broke, and my contractions were getting closer together and more and more painful, so it felt like a really long time before I was officially admitted.  I got back into the wheelchair and was wheeled into the delivery room - and it was a crazy blur of pain.  It was definitely more painful than I thought.  Duh, of course it was going to be painful.  I just thought being a first time mom, labor would be slow and I would get the epidural before it got too bad.  I finally got dressed into my gown, and got my IV in and I started to shake like crazy.  My contractions were around 1 minute apart and I started to panic.  I NEEDED MY EPIDURAL.  The nurses turned on the newborn warming thingy, and kept asking me if I felt pressure and the need to push.  Thank goodness I didn't.  I could not handle that.  Finally my favorite person in the world (the anesthesiologist) came in and I sat up and started to get ready for the epidural.  The pain was slightly more manageable sitting up rather than laying in bed.  I was so nervous about getting the epidural, but I didn't feel a thing.  I was so grateful I was able to get it and felt better almost immediately.  We got to the hospital around 9, and I got my epidural around 11:30.  Things escalated quickly.  My nurse (also on my list of favorite people), told me to come to the hospital sooner for my next baby.

After the epidural things slowed down.  I was able to rest a little and watch Jimmy Fallon.  Around 3:30am I was at a 10 and ready to push.  I didn't need pitocin or anything, my body was ready to get that baby here.  The nurse had me do a practice push and Theo's heart rate dropped.  It was absolutely terrifying.  Doctors came in and stared at the screen, and put me on oxygen.  I waited some more, while we waited for my doctor to get here. This was torturous.  I couldn't rest at all.  I just kept listening to his heart rate, hoping and praying it would stay stable.  His heart rate improved and by 4:45am my doctor was there and ready to try again.  I pushed through maybe 4 or 5 contractions and Theo's heart rate dropped again.  My doctor wanted to get him out ASAP so she talked about using foreceps.  We of course agreed - whatever it takes to get him here safely.  Two other doctors came in, along with two or three pediatricians - just in case he wasn't doing well when he came out.  You know it's scary when you go from three people in the room to eight.  Once the forceps were in place, I pushed through around 3 contractions and he was here. I pushed for a total time of 30 mins.  The cord was wrapped twice around his neck.  That's why his heart rate kept dropping.  Once the cord was unwrapped he started screaming.  It was the best sound in the world!!!  The pediatricians immediately took him to check him out, but he was absolutely perfect.  Kevin was able to hold him while the doctors finished up with me.  Then I was able to hold my sweet baby for the first time.  A moment I will never ever forget.

We are so glad he his here safe and sound.  It was an incredible experience, and we love him so so much.

 Before I got admitted
 After the epidural.  What's up with me and the thumbs up? I look exhausted.
My sweet Theo.  I have more pictures to upload, but for some reason they're not working right now. I'll try again soon.
He's now officially 3 weeks old, and starting to fit into his newborn clothes better.  He had his two week check and now weights 7 pounds 8 ounces!!  He gained a lot of weight fast!  Keep it up, little buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment